Wednesday, January 30, 2013

I have a bad feeling about this...

Did you ever have an idea that you thought was fantastic, but when you went through with your idea you discovered it wasn't really all that great of one? Yeah, that happened to me yesterday.

While walking through Lowes I walked down the painting accessories aisle, and something caught my eye - a paint mixer attachment that works with your cordless drill. It was like $7, but I thought that I could use it to stir and mix my mold rubber, since it's very thick when I mix it up to pour molds.

I got home and later that night, decided to put it to the test. Now... in hindsight, I can see that I did several things wrong right from the start...

1) I had too much material in my mixing container. The container that I use to mix the rubber holds about 1Kg. I had about 850 grams of rubber in there, and that didn't leave a lot of room for mixing.

2) I didn't pre-mix the parts. Part A is a very watery substance, and Part B is the body of the rubber. Since the mix is 1A:10B, the Part B goes into the container first, and then the Part A is poured on top.

3) I didn't hold on to the container. This was just pure stupidity on my part.

So... I poured my 850g of Part B - the thick, rubbery part - into my mixing container and poured 8.5g of Part A - the watery part, the catalyst - on top of that. I placed the mixer attachment into the container, making sure to submerge it into the material, and pull the trigger on the cordless drill - and I have liquid rubber EVERYWHERE. And I mean everywhere. I don't wear anything on my face when I do this, and that was unfortunate for me. Luckily I had on a long sleeve sweatshirt (which is now ruined, along with a pair of jeans and my sneakers).

So.... yeah. Bad idea. The mixer attachment says that it's for a 1 gallon bucket of paint for a reason, I guess. The container I used was way too small to handle the power that the cordless drill put out, and I made a huge mess.

Happy time.

No comments: